Subtitle: Lying to your empathetic child.
On the way home from the store today, we passed by a car that was on fire. In the next few moments, we also passed by police and fire trucks on their way to the car.
Usual questions commence: "Why did the fire truck come? Where is the fire station? How will they put the fire out? Will they get hurt? Why are the police going? Why do they need police and firemen? How did the fire start? Do you think anyone was hurt?" And on and on.....
Five minutes later, I look in my rear-view mirror and she's crying.
"What's wrong?"
"I'm very sad for those people because now they won't have a car anymore and they won't be able to go anywhere they need to go. Maybe they can't work or get groceries or pick up their kids."
"Oh honey, they'll be fine."
"No; I'm very sad."
And now, we lie. The car was very old, beat-up, and sad looking...it was in a poorer area of town. I have a feeling there is no new car coming for this person.
But that's not what you tell your child.
"Don't worry. They're going to go out and get a brand new car. Maybe something like your new mini-van. Remember how we gave them Daddy's car because it was old and didn't run well and we got this nice new car? They'll do that, too."
"But how will they get to the new car store?"
"I'm sure the nice police man will give them a ride."
"Oh good. I hope they pick out a nice mini-van just like ours."
It was a lie for the greater good, but it still made me a little sick to my stomach to say it.
Hmmm. I guess there is no public transportation where you live :))
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet little one you are raising!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet little girl. And what a wonderful opportunity to teach her about helping other people. :)
ReplyDeleteI was watching toy Story with my little cousin once, and she started crying. When I asked her what was wrong she said that she was sad because Woody and Buzz would miss their family (it was when they fell out of the car).