Monday, June 4, 2012

No. I'm not.

No.  Just no.  I know I'm a few weeks off, but it's taken me a while to formulate my less than articulate response.

While this may be the unwritten rule of a "good mother," I am going to loudly protest that it is not.

Some of us simply CANNOT breast feed.  I'm not even going to get into whether we want to or not - that's a side issue.  No one...and I mean, no one...can hold this up as the standard of motherhood.

When I don't get up thirty times at night to comfort the sleepless, nightmare having, vomiting, feverish, coughing, upset child...talk to me.

When I don't provide nourishing baby food, formula, or bite-sized baby foods...talk to me.

When I don't give my child safe seating in the car and at the table, when I don't provide a bed or a roof over their heads, when I don't talk to them and read to them and play with them and come up with new and creative activities for them each and every day no matter how tired or fed up I am...

Talk to me then.

You lose, Time Magazine.  Mothers are not defined by breasts and breast feeding and the sensationalizing of this topic was pure money in the bank for you.

4 comments:

  1. I think you articulated your response very well. I am in agreement. Breastfeeding works well for many but in the end does not define what a good mother is. It can be part of being a good mother (ie providing nourishment) but one can breastfeed & not be a good mother as well. I think you have expressed your thoughts very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I sincerely appreciate the support :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, I think this whole thing is creepy!
    Why id Time magazine even talking about this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree that it is creepy. The whole attachment parenting thing may be going a bit too far....

    But that's just my opinion. Some people love it and think it's natural. To each his/her own - but don't force that image onto me.

    ReplyDelete