Somehow, having kids, getting a full-time job with tenure, buying a house - none of it made me feel as adult as I do now that we have bought a mini-van.
We traded in my husband's (barely-running) '01 Grand Prix and kept my Civic (so I don't blow all of our cash on the commute) and I love it. I love that we now have room for everything; for years, the Civic has been our "travel" car - try packing everything you need and traveling for hours in that all the time. Not so fun. In addition, not bending over to get the kids in and out, automatic side doors, back-up camera...it's sweet.
The sad secret I'm hiding...I've become that woman from the commercial a few years ago. Things start to get loud and out of control at home...I wander out and find comfort and solace in my mini-van. It's quiet. It's the cleanest thing we own. It's comfortable. It's still got that nice new car smell...it's like a little vacation or "quiet space."
I always thought that was the craziest commercial. Color me completely wrong :)
I'm catching up on posts...
ReplyDeleteIt's funny to me that you have a PhD, yet the mini van makes you feel like an adult. Welcome to the world of adult-ness. : )