Friday, February 24, 2012

Bladder Fun

I'm going to do my best to tell you about today, but I don't know a lot and Brian has been what I would lovingly call, "little to no help." Here goes:

I had to arrive at the Surgery Center at about 8:30 this morning. Brian and I decided to get there early because we were hoping it was a first come-first served type of place. The reason we had this thought was because I was supposed to call the Dr.'s office yesterday to between 2:30-4:00 to get my surgery time. When I called, they didn't even ask my name - just said to show up at 8:30. That was really weird.

So, I got there and after a few minutes, they took me back. Went over all the fun stuff like medical history, previous surgeries, allergies, etc. Got dressed in my sassy gown and had an IV started. They took me back at 9:30 and I can tell you I was pretty nervous. The only experience I've had that I could compare it to was when I was at the hospital down by my parents and they put in a catheter and kept inflating my bladder with water. That really really really hurt and was very uncomfortable - especially afterward. I've had catheters with both of my c-sections, but the epidural/spinal was always so good that I never really noticed them. The nurses assured me that compared to a c-section, this was nothing (as I logically understood).

We got all set up in the O.R. and I can say that it was very very weird. At least my doctor has a sense of humor as he agreed is seemed pretty perverse back there. They had to strap my legs into these stirrups that were way up high and then strip me down from the waist down. I'm sure that delivering a baby naturally has a bit of this feeling, but, having never done that, this was a new one for me.

I suppose they had slid some drugs into my IV at this point because I was conscious but having a hard time focusing. I remember that the lights kept going in and out of focus or I would see double. I don't think I was ever "out," but I wasn't with it. It did hurt a bit and was uncomfortable, but not for too long. I believe I said something along the lines of "ouch" and the doctor asked if we were still "friends," or I could be delusional. It was all very surreal.

I don't think I remember heading back to recovery, but I do think I remember looking at the clock and seeing that I had only been back there about ten minutes. They had said it would take about 30, so that surprised me. Once I woke up a bit, they let Brian come back and he told me what the doctor told him (but his memory isn't as good as I want it to be). Apparently, all of these infections I had while pregnant caused something to happen to my urethra. I can't (due to Brian's memory) let you know what, exactly. He called them something like boils or polyps or something - but apparently there were about 20 or so and they were causing severe irritation, bleeding, and new infections. So the doctor burned them off.

As for now, I have a painkiller that is specific to the bladder and it turns my urine orange. That is really really weird. I don't feel the best, but the Doctor guaranteed Brian that this would take care of the issues and things should be find from here on in. I'll take his word for it. I have a follow up in three weeks, so I'll know more specifics then. All Brian really cared about was they found something and got rid of it. I've been bodily tired since the procedure (it's like when you've worked out very hard and your muscles and body are just exhausted) and they said that's from the meds. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be feeling pretty good and most, if not all, of the pain will be gone.

So, again - more than you ever wanted to know, but I know some of you were worried and wanted details. And since I've already told you more about my body than you ever needed to know through the pregnancy, I feel as though we have no secrets :) In short, everything should be fixed and I am pretty determined to keep people from poking around in that general area for a few years. Tapping out!

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully, no one but your hubby will get near those parts for years - other than for the usual pap smear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Brian on this one...
    The only thing I cared about while reading this was that they found something and they did something to fix it.
    I hope that they are correct and that this really does take care of the problems for you. I know how incredibly uncomfortable all those infections are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Icky...I hope they got everything and that you start feeling better soon. (Sorry Brian wasn't helpful--he and The Husband can get together and talk about that some time.)

    ReplyDelete