Monday, May 21, 2012

Off the radar

So - we went down to visit my folks (and a really good friend with her adorable baby!) this past (extended) weekend, which was simultaneously nice and stressful.

It's always hard, I find, to visit my parents with my girls.  They are always watching and, to an extent, judging.  I know they don't mean to or to do it in a bad way (they only want to help, and I've reached the point in my life where I realize that while it may be dated, there is a LOT of wisdom in experience), but it's stressful.  When they don't act like they should or like I know they can, it upsets me because it feels like a reflection of my parenting skills.  But, overall, it is very nice to be there.

When we're there, I don't check my phone or email or computer and it's such a nice, and weird, feeling.  I've been working on trying to catch up with everyone's posts (both on Facebook and their blogs) and I've found that I'm pretty far behind all of you :)  I'll catch up.

Hope had her six month appointment today.  Everything is developing normally and going as it should.  She is 26 and a quarter inches long (65th percentile) and 15lbs 4oz (34th percentile).  Again - tall and skinny.  This should be no surprise at this point.  She did have to get three different shots for her vaccinations today and it was so much harder to see Katie than Hope.  Katie started crying and asked to leave the room.  The nurse and I tried to calm her down, but it was just so heartbreaking to see how she reacted to her sister's pain.  Especially considering she had her 4 year checkup last Tuesday and took her own vaccination with no tears or reaction at all.  She couldn't stand seeing them stick her sister or hear her sister cry.  It was lovely (in a weird way).

She was also an amazing big sister on the drive back.  Brian didn't go with us, so I was on my own with the girls.  Hope spent almost the entire car ride today leaning forward in her car seat to look at Katie and grin at her.  Katie kept telling her stories, making her giggle, and (most importantly) let Hope chew on her fingers (we may be teething :)  She just thought it was so cute and fun - and when Hope got upset, she fed her in the backseat. 

I'm so lucky to have a four year old who wants to help and who loves her little sister so much.  I can't say that I was ever that enthralled with my little brother(s), but the bond between the two of them is absolutely amazing.  Hope looks at Katie with such love in her eyes and Katie returns it.  They are a perfect (and trouble-making) little duo :)  I'm so proud of my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment