I'm a Catholic.
Yup, I said it. Can I say I'm a "practicing Catholic?" I don't know. But at so many moments in my life, I have found myself at odds with the Catholic religion...never more so than right now. And it troubles me deep down to my core.
To begin, let's get a bit of background here:
I grew up in a very "guilty" Catholic house. What does that mean? It means we do what we're supposed to because, if not, you'll go to Hell. This involved NEVER skipping Mass (you had to be chucking toes up), fasting for an hour prior to Mass, no meat on Fridays, etc. My brothers and I went to Catholic school throughout kindergarten and primary school. We had all the sacraments we were eligible for (Baptism, First Communion, Reconciliation, Confirmation, and Marriage). I had a full Catholic Mass for my wedding even though I was unsure about it (many in attendance were not practicing or Catholic). My grandparents on my father's side are RELIGIOUS - my grandmother was sent to a convent at 15 and stayed there until she realized it wasn't the right path for her.
I love spirituality and I love faith. I love God and Jesus. I love being a part of a religious community. But, increasingly, it appears that my community does not want me. And I'm very torn.
First of all, while I was on bed rest in the fall, the Mass changed. Not in huge ways, but in enough subtle ways and in enough prayers, responses, and actions that I now feel like a stranger in the one place I was usually comfortable. There was something so reassuring and comforting in the rote responses and actions. Some people may argue and say that you should be thinking about them and being an active participant, but I always felt it was more like meditation - a zone I could sink into and be peaceful.
Now I can't. Every time I start to get into that zone, I say a wrong response or do a wrong action and it jars me. It's very frustrating and I just can't pick up on it. I know this happened before to people when the Mass went from Latin to English, but this is not dramatic enough - it's too subtle for me to remember.
But more than that...
There have been many articles in our bulletin about current issues - gay marriage, abortion, etc. The new one, of course, is birth control. A few weeks ago there was a double sided yellow handout in our bulletin that really hurt me.
It was all about birth control - about how if you even work for a company that has a health insurance carrier that provides birth control, you are guilty. How every employer is being forced to provide this immoral substance to others.
And I realize...in the eyes of the Catholic Church, I am going to Hell. More so than I ever was before with birth control, I committed the ultimate sin: I had a tubal ligation. Had I gone to St. Joe's to deliver, they would not have even performed the procedure.
I knew this. I thought about it. But it wasn't until they came out with guns blazing with this handout that I realized how seriously this church thinks I've f*&ked up.
The God I know and love would, I'm sure, want me to be with my girls as they grow up. He would want me to be a partner to my husband and a daughter and a sister. Pregnancy and children aren't even the issue - the issue is that if I would unknowingly become pregnant at this point, there's a good likelihood it could kill me before we figured it out.
But I can't bring myself to sit in church and know this is the common feeling or position of my religion. I now feel like an outcast who doesn't belong. And it makes me sad. Being an academic, I've always fought and internally struggled with religion, but this feels like the first time religion fought back - and it feels like a sucker punch.
But more than anything...it makes me sad. Religion should be love and acceptance - not rules, hatred, and distance.
Very well said.
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a country where religion was prohibited - at the time.
I am a grown-up, and sometimes I feel like maybe I should join the community, in its rituals and celebrations and get-togethers and helping each other - but there are too many things, just like you mentioned, that simply do not work for me: the rules, the hatred, the distance. So it looks like I will be raising my kids with meaningless eggs for easter and pretty trees for Christmas, just because that's what everyone is doing...
However, it must be much more sad for you, who spent the life feeling a part of it, and now feeling like an outcast :(
I appreciate your understanding because it is such a tricky topic to try to handle. And yes, I do feel the distance because it has been such a large part of my life - even now, we're sending Katie to parochial school. I don't want to leave the religion, but it may have left me, sadly.
ReplyDeleteWell spoken indeed.
ReplyDeleteWow! I came to your blog because of the comment you left on my blog. Sorry it took so long for me to reply to it, as I was out of the country, and then busy when I came back. Well said! I too have felt like I have been left. I loved being Catholic. I still love many things about the Catholic faith. As much as the Catholic church is criticized for it's devotion to Mary and the saints, those are two things I love the most about the Catholic church. Those are the things that make me hesitant to find a new church to attend. No other church has many of these things. Just like you love the rote responses, I love the rosary. I love it because it is rote, and as I would say the prayers, I could think about what prayers were on my heart. Now I feel bad even saying the prayers, or attending the church, because in their eyes I have committed a horrible sin. I see posts on facebook, and read emails, and it just makes me sad. I am sad because the church that I have always loved, and wanted to be a part of, is being hurtful towards people who are struggling, including myself. If we follow in Jesus' footsteps, He loved even the people who committed horrible sins. Through love He guided them back to Him. Instead the church that I have always loved, has excluded so many...including me! Rules and laws that are mad by man...not written in the bible are now causing a church that I have always loved, to turn it's back on so many. Instead of lovingly helping those who struggle, they are abandoning them.
ReplyDeleteI can't figure out this new set up by blogger, so I can't tell if it will automatically leave the link back to my blog, so just in case: http://happyladybugslife.blogspot.com/
Thanks again for your post! I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way.
I'm having a hard time knowing what to say because 1) I'm not Catholic (but I work for nuns, does that count?), and 2) we haven't talked in a long time, so I don't want to barge right in to your life on such a personal topic. But, since we have been friends for, like, 15 years, I'll hop in anyway. :) I'm so so sorry you feel this way. I don't know about official stances of the Catholic Church or anything, but I do know Jesus, and I know that He is all about accepting and loving you, regardless of your reproductive status!
ReplyDeleteI like Lizzie May's comment above! Now, I'm not Catholic and never have been, but I anm Lutheran (ELCA), and as far as I can tell, that's about as close as one can get to Catholicism without actually doing it. One of the things I really like about my church is how open the pastor and members are about things like homosexuality and so forth. My church doesn't care if you lived together before marriage or whether the spouses want to have the same last name when they marry. Whenever I go, I feel reassured that the sole purpose of church is to create a family of those who feel that religion should make us happy and bring us together in a place where we can all receive a message of hope about life. It's hard to shed beliefs of our youth, especially when it comes to religion, but I hope you're able to find peace in doing what is best for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI believe God is about doing what we can to make the lives of others better -- guilt not welcome! One of my favorite lines about religion: "God dwells within us, as us." Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat, Pray, Love
Lizzie and Marcy -
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your kind words and thoughts - this is such a tricky and trying subject. I've always battled with it, and I'm starting to think that this just may be one of the things I "offer up." I remain in the community to honor my family, traditions, and beliefs, but accept that I am a "cafeteria Catholic" who will pick and choose what works for her.
More important to me than anything is that Katie and Hope grow up firmly in a religion - if they choose to change it someday, that's perfectly fine with me, but I want them to know and understand what they are choosing. I just know too many people who "tried out" lots of churches or didn't go at all and thought the kids could make up their mind when they were older, and without a foundation, many of those kids chose nothing...which makes me sad.
I think, like Happyladybug, that I will use Mary and the saints as my role models of how to live a faithful life and serve God and Jesus...not necessarily my church.
I am late to coming to the party...
ReplyDeleteYou're not the only one who gets the Mass parts wrong, and I don't have the excuse of bedrest. I still say "and also with you" instead of "and with your Spirit" several times almost every Sunday.
Just like people, there are good priests and bad priest and good communities that make you feel loved and valued and bad ones that make you feel like you aren't good enough. Our priest (who has now retired and whom I miss terribly) came to visit me in the hospital during the bad time and preformed the Sacrament of the Sick. Sitting with him I knew what Psalm 23 meant when it says "he anointed my head with oil." He radiated God's love, even though at that time I didn't really feel like I deserved it.
I'm not advocating that you do this because it really isn't any of my business, but I do hope that someday you'll have a relationship with a priest that you can really talk to, like I had. I think that person will be able to tell you what you already know--that God loves you and cares for you and would rather have you on earth with your family than in Heaven with un-tied tubes. Anyone who says otherwise, Catholic or not, is just a jerk.