The wait continues...
And it probably will for a few more weeks. I guess I have to come to terms with it. I finally got up the guts to contact my publisher on Friday to find out what was going on and received an email back saying that she had been busy but that I was high on the priority list and would hear back from her that day.
Didn't happen.
Still hasn't happened.
I do know that she's at the NADE (National Association for Developmental Education) conference right now through the weekend in Denver. Publishers go to these conferences to schmooze and push their products and their authors. Theoretically, next year at this time, they'll be pushing me on the public at the Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC), which I'll be attending in Las Vegas over Spring Break in March. Since they'll be there as well, I'm assuming they're going to be in big prep mode for their party and their publicity events for that conference (I'm pretty sure it's one of their biggest events of the year), so I'm guessing I'm not going to get any comments prior to that conference either.
I guess the plus side is that I can actually track her down at the conference and force some feedback from her personally.
The down side, of course, is that with each and every passing day and week, we get closer and closer to that June 15th date by which I am contractually obligated to give them a draft of the book or I don't get paid. However, we are now pretty much at March and I have no reviewer feedback, no publisher feedback, and no comments on the TOC or chapters that I actually have edited. In other words, I have absolutely nothing to work on and no direction, yet I have only 3 months to pull the damn thing together.
Essentially, this sucks.
On the bright side, my doctor has prescribed me enough anti-anxiety medication to keep me well sedated and oblivious to the larger ramifications of these deadlines and time-crunches. And I continue to think that this may all be happening for the greater good as the more time that passes, the better my mindset is. I think that as time passes I am more and more grounded about the project and farther away from having taken on the project and actually sent them anything that I produced, thereby actually feeling more distance from it. Now I think I can actually get feedback or criticism and not take it personally or negatively. Everything does happen for a reason, doesn't it?.
And, we have snow, which always has a lovely calming effect on me. Today was especially lovely because it kept falling - I like it when it continues to rest on the tree branches and gives everything that picture-postcard look - rather than that slushy-melty look. I'm hoping that tomorrow the girls actually take a nap at daycare so we can get in just one more day of sledding before it all disappears. We have to head down to see my parents this weekend, and they don't have any snow, so we may miss out on it if we don't manage to squeeze it in tomorrow afternoon and that would be sad; although when you consider our crazy weather, who knows?!
No comments:
Post a Comment