Ah...psychiatry. What a science.
Why do we ever consider medicine to be anything more than a guess game? Of course, I guess I should have been able to tell you that after three psychiatrists and a dozen or so years of trying to figure everything out (not to mention the entire pregnancy ordeal), but it never ceases to frustrate me.
Of course, I reported on my wildly cycling moods today as well as my insomnia and so I have had my medicine adjusted (again) to see if we can find the correct medication as well as dosage. Not only do we have to control the anxiety, major depressive disorder, and the OCD, but let's add that bipolar factor into the mix and you just get a great old mess.
So we're starting up on some Seroquel with the Prozac and Xanax...jeepers...I'm beginning to sound (and feel) like a walking pharmacy; however, the doctor believes that if we're onto the right course here, I would be able to move completely off of the Prozac and the Seroquel would be taken only as I take the Xanax now (as needed).
It would be nice to go for a few days...or even weeks...without taking more than a daily vitamin. It's a nice thought.
So, here's hoping we're on the right track. I shudder away from pills described as "anti-psychotic," because...well, let's face it. Who wants to be caught taking an anti-psychotic drug? But, I guess I'd rather be on one "as-needed" (yes, I'm going to hope for the best-case outcome) than a handful of who knows what every single day.
I'll let you know how it goes...if nothing else, he guarantees me sleep. I hope so. That would be freakin' awesome :)
Good luck with the Seroquel. Although I hate that drug with almost every fiber of my being, it probably literally saved my life. The side effects are kind of crap, so I hope that you do get to take it as needed.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it fun to feel like someone's pharmaceutical science project?