Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Meds and Family Update

It's been a different week and a half.  In some ways, it has been very good, and in others it has not been my favorite.

To start, there's the Seroquel.  I'm on a low dose, thank goodness, but my gut instinct tells me the doctor will up it at the next visit.  Being nothing if not academic, I did some research and found the average dose for someone with Bipolar Depression is 400mg and for Bipolar Mania 600mg.  I tend toward the mania, so I'm going to guess that my little 50mg dose is going to get a large bump in the near future.

Overall, it's ok. I do sleep.  It does bring me down enough that I can calmly lie down and sleep.  I don't have as much anxiety or anxious energy or mania, which is all good.  But I can tell as soon as I take it.  I'm supposed to take it hours before bed so it has a chance to kick in, so I take it around seven (when I remember - I've set an alarm on my phone) and I can almost instantly feel that I'm duller.  I'm not as smart or quick or with it.  But I won't be sleepy for three or four hours.  Overall, I really don't like the stupid effect it has on me, but I can't argue with the difference that a good night's sleep has on my overall personality and outlook.

So, we'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.  It has helped me control my temper and balance, but I'm still not sure about it.  Honestly, I wish I was simply med-free and had no issues whatsoever, but I suppose it's better to be medicated and a good mother, wife, sister, daughter, teacher, friend, etc. than to be bat shit crazy.

Just my two cents for the day.

1 comment:

  1. The stupid feeling from the Seroquel goes away when your body gets more used to the drug. Unfortunately, about that time it also stops making you feel sleepy, which is a sad day. I'm on 800 mg (because I'm extra special like that). It does help me feel a lot more even and better on the whole--every time I've tried to decrease my dosage I start feeling like crap, so at least I know it's working. Give yourself about 2 months to get used to it and you'll feel better. It does suck, though.

    ReplyDelete