Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Four years ago today

There was an earthquake. In fact, there were two. It was supposed to be my last day of work before my maternity leave started. I still had five weeks to go before Katie was due, but I had been so sick that I just couldn't make it any longer.

My water broke at school that afternoon. After twenty-two agonizing hours of labor, Katie was born via C-section (after fetal distress) the next afternoon.

This was one of the moments my life was truly and completely blessed beyond belief. Listening to that cry for the first time after the panic and worry and sheer disbelief, my body just shook with sobs right there on the operating room table. I had never been so happy or so in love at any point in my life.

Now, I'm watching my baby grow bigger and smarter and stronger and faster every day. She continues to do and say things that amaze me. She makes me smile and feel like a better person. When she looks at me and says, "you look beautiful, Momma" or "I love when you sing to me," my heart just spills open with joy. She is the amazing precious miracle and while we always knew she was precious, we never knew, until Hope, what a miracle she is.

This kid is a fighter. When we look at everything we know now, the sheer fact that she is here is beyond miraculous. And while I adore her with everything in me and think she's the coolest little kid in the world, what I truly enjoy is watching her with Hope. She takes such good care of her little sister and always wants to talk to her or play with her or hug her. Her amazing love and selflessness is so inspiring. She has never really been jealous or upset and she always puts Hope's needs ahead of her own. I don't know what I did to deserve a child with such an amazing heart.

Happy Birthday a day early, Katherine Mary Margaret. Your Great-Grandmothers have clearly blessed you with all of their best qualities and you are growing into the most precious girl I could ever have the pleasure to know, let alone be the mother to. You taught me more about love than I ever knew was possible - love for you, love for my husband, love for my own parents and siblings - you rearranged my world and set my priorities straight. I love you, Skippy!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome birthday kid has!
    Henry's sisters twins were born about 7 hours before that earthquake. I was up early for the earth quake to takes treats to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete